As one of the most affordable types of roofing materials, asphalt roofing in Maynard, MA, and surrounding towns is in high demand. With the cold air moving out, homeowners are getting ready to tackle the honey-do list. From yard work to much-needed home repairs, roofing usually tops the list for several different reasons. The most obvious of the reasons is the structural damage that comes with a compromised roofing system.
At Power Construction, we stand behind the choice of asphalt roofing for your home. However, once the material choice is made, the choice of which type of asphalt roofing comes next. Whether architectural or standard, this decision impacts the overall look of your home’s exterior. In this article, we’re taking a more in-depth look at architectural style asphalt roofing.
How are architectural shingles different from standard?
Although there are several differences between the two types of shingles, there is one main difference. That difference is the design. While a single flat layer distinguishes standard shingles, architectural shingles have a minimum of two layers. Architectural shingles are fused together with additional layers of asphalt.
These additional layers are what provide architectural shingles with their distinct look. Contoured and multi-dimensional through varying widths, colors, and shapes, this style provides a more upscale, sophisticated look to your roof.
What are the benefits?
To some, the difference between standard and architectural styled roofs may not seem significant enough to justify the higher cost. However, to professionals, the upgraded style is worth every penny. Below are a few takeaways on the benefits homeowners can expect to receive with architectural shingles:
- Architectural shingles are almost twice as thick as standard asphalt shingles.
- The thickness of the shingles makes the architectural-style more durable and less likely to curl.
- Because of the thickness and weight, often improved warranties are extended to homeowners on the material.
- They are easily manufactured to resemble premium roofing materials like slate or cedar, without the price tag.
- The installation technique of an architectural style roof increases the ability to hide imperfections on the roof’s surface.
- Variety of colors offered to customers for a unique, personalized look to your home.
What’s the lifespan of architectural asphalt roofing?
While standard asphalt roofing provides homeowners with around 20 years of life, architectural will last about 30 years. This extended lifespan is mainly due to the increased thickness of the material.
For more information on all of your asphalt roofing in Maynard, MA, or surrounding towns, contact our team of professionals today (888) 900-1727.